Those who know me, know my house is filled with boys, well sort of. Three boys, all born in a grand total of 34 months. Now, one-hundred and eighty-three months later, I’ve learned some interesting things. Some helpful, some funny, some heartwarming…but all interesting! I wish I had known these little gems all along, on this journey of raising boys. But in life, you learn things as you go…So here’s my little take on this life God has called me to.
1. Loud is OK.
2. They are going to fight, but they still love each-other.
3. They are going to embarrass you once in a while, take a chill pill-just laugh!
4. They will always, I mean ALWAYS, need their Mama!
5. You’ve never failed so badly that tomorrow can’t be a fresh start-Tomorrow is always a fresh start!
6. You’re not raising pansies! Buck up!
7. Clorox will make it like it never. even. happened.
8. AXE bodywash and shampoo can cover up almost anything…
9. Scentsy and Febreeze are gifts from Jesus Himself!
10. You CAN do this!
Somewhere around age five, most little girls are full of giddy smiles, immense confidence, and big dreams…but by the time we reach twenty-five, the smiles have faded, our confidence has dropped and dreams have been replaced with a huge dose of reality. It’s sad but true. Is it that our expectations were just too big? Is it that our society is full of lies about what’s real? Or are we being unfair in our criticism of ourselves? Well, it’s probably a combination of all of the above. Here’s what I’ve been finding, as I talk with my godly girl-friends…
Life has thrown us a few curve balls. We thought we would grow up to be “better”, look “cuter”, be “happier”, have more “perfect” husbands, have more “well behaved” children… and the list goes on..and on…
Guess what?!?! God’s plan for you was never about YOU being Perfect! God’s plan for you has always been about CHRIST shining THROUGH you. I can never be a good enough wife or mom on my own. You can never do it on your own either…we have to look to the LORD for strength. It’s time to let up on our harsh self-judgments…the incessant self-doubt and criticism. YOU & I are God’s Girls! He sees you as a work of art (in progress). Be encouraged today & know that you are HIS, and you are enough…pretty enough…strong enough…good enough-through HIM who made you!
Be strong today…Be a God Girl!